When I still ate carbs, I was a bread lover. I have TWO bread machines even today. I beat the high cost of commercial low-carb or keto bread by making my own.
I found the base recipe in Dana Carpender’s 2002 book, 500 Low-Carb Recipes. There are a lot of bread machine recipes, and my favorite is the Rye Bread recipe on page 128.
It calls for a bread machine that makes a 1 pound loaf. My second bread machine only makes 1 1/2 pound or two pound loaves. So I have adapted the recipe to larger loaves. I cut the loaves with my good bread knife when cool, and pack most into 1/2 loaf packages in the freezer.
Caraway rye uses whole rye flour, and tastes like regular rye bread. Einkorn is a more primitive and less addictive form of wheat, available in whole grain or white varieties– we use whole grain here.
All of the bread machine recipes in Carpender’s book call for vital wheat gluten. As you can guess from the name, it is not gluten free and has wheat in it. This ingredient is essential to getting your bread to rise. I buy ‘Anthony’s’ brand. Vital wheat gluten is sometimes sold under other names, like wheat gluten or high-gluten flour. This last name can also mean regular flour with some vital wheat gluten added. The stuff we want has 4 to 6 grams carbs per 1/4 cup or 39 gram serving. Check your label!
Caraway Rye or Whole Einkorn Bread Machine Bread.
Amounts given for 1 1/2 pound loaf, 1 pound or 2 pound in brackets.
1 1/2 cup [1 cup, 2 cups] warm water.
3/4 cup [1/2 cup, 1 cup] wheat bran.
3/4 cup [1/2 cup, 1 cup] rye flour or whole einkorn flour.
1/4 + 1/8 cup [1/4 cup, 1/2 cup] whey protein powder.
1 1/2 teaspoon [1 teaspoon, 2 teaspoons] sea salt.
1 1/2 Tablespoon [1 Tablespoon, 2 Tablespoons] butter or coconut oil.
1 1/2 Tablespoon [1 Tablespoon, 2 Tablespoons] caraway seed for rye bread, omit for Whole Einkorn.
2 1/4 teaspoon [1 1/2 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon] bread making yeast.
Save yourself trouble- copy out the ingredients for the size on loaf you want onto a scrap of paper.
1. Put in the paddle! Spray the loaf pan with olive oil spray.
2. Put the ingredients in the pan in the order given.
3. Set the machine to French bread or Whole Wheat bread settings, and input the size of loaf you are making. When your settings are all correct, press the start button.
4. If your machine beeps at you at the right time to remove the paddle, remove the paddle at that time. Otherwise, remove it before the baking starts. Or not.
5. When the loaf is done, pull out the loaf pan with oven mitts, and place it somewhere your cats can’t get to it to cool.
6. When bread is cool, slice it. A 1 pound loaf should have 12 slices, bigger loaves should have more. A one slice serving should have about 4.8 grams of net carbs. If your slices came out thick, you may need to use 1/2 slice as one serving.
7. I pack the bread into freezer bags, 1/2 loaf per bag, and thaw as I run out of unfrozen bread.
I currently have both my bread machine running, each making a 1 and 1/2 pound loaf. Often I make rye in one bread maker and whole einkorn in the other.
The carbs in low-carb bread count! Ration your consumption. Make open-face sandwiches to save a slice. And if you fear you might be gluten intolerant, try egg-based bread substitutes from time to time.
Have you ever made low-carb bread in a bread machine? Or are you considering trying it? Please share in a comment your experiences or your questions.